Joes New Balance Outlet

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Leesburg's Ashley Hunt To Play In Motor City Bowl, December 21, 2000


Hunt's ending has silver lining

Leesburg grad will play final game for Cincy in Pontiac Silverdome

By Robert Pincus
Daily Commercial Staff Writer
December 21, 2000

Ashley Hunt won't be spending Christmas with his family this year. And he is thrilled.

Instead, the former Leesburg High football player will be playing in the Motor City Bowl on Dec. 27 at 4 p.m. on ESPN2 with his University of Cincinnati teammates as they face Marshall University in the Pontiac Silverdome.

Hunt is the starting tight end for the 7-3 Bearcats. The fifth year senior has caught 18 passes for a 176 yards playing in a spread out offense this season.

University of Cincinnati senior Tight End Ashley Hunt
"I can't remember Ashley missing a pass this year," Cincinnati quarterback Coach Joe Daniels said. "He's worked so hard to get to this point and he's doing a nice job."

Five years ago, Hunt chose the Bearcats because he wanted the opportunity to play at a Division I school.

"They presented the best opportunity to compete in the national spotlight," Hunt said. "To me, there wasn't a big difference between three hours away".

Hunt has come a long way on the football field.

"Ashley went from a third-teamer four years ago to becoming a starter two years ago," Daniels said. "The only thing that is negative for him is that we don't play a tight end as much since we have gone to a spread offense.

"The real deal for him will be next year when we'll know how much we miss him. Ashley is just so reliable whether he's in pass protection or run blocking."



Hunt is a true player. He never thought about leaving the program after the offensive system was changed.

"I wouldn't care if I was out there 10 plays a game as long as we are winning," Hunt said. "Of course, I'd like to get the ball more, but that's how it works out sometimes."

No.87 has caught four career touchdown passes, but he will never forget the first against Syracuse in 1998. Not only did he make a great catch but he was also able to honor his hometown.

"I've always wanted them to say Fruitland Park, Florida on TV," Hunt said. "They had me listed as living in Leesburg and I had them change it."

The dream of playing Division I football has been everything Hunt thought it would be and more.

Pontiac Silverdome, Pontiac Michigan
"When you play in front of 85,000 fans, there is nothing like it," Hunt said. "It sure beats 500 at Leesburg."

Hunt is reliable off the field as well.

He was one of the 95 percent of seniors who will leave the Bearcats football program with a degree in June. Actually, Hunt has already graduated and is hoping to move onto law school.

"The academics were really important to me," Hunt said. "I love playing football and sometimes it took a little extra motivation (for academics). I know they are paying for all my expenses and I have friends that are working. I'm having fun playing college football and having my education paid for."

Hunt said he does not "consider myself different from anyone else," He said there were others in high school who were better than him, but did not go onto college because of grades.




"The thing I see most often around here is not doing schoolwork," said Hunt of his high school days in Lake County. "There are all kinds of kids in the high school that could play Division I football, basketball or baseball, but they are taking the wrong classes and not taking school seriously enough"

"When it comes to school, its more important in life than any sports. There are a lot of people here who could be Division I athletes, but aren't college prep ready.

"My motivation in high school was to get a scholarship. I never considered myself a smart person, but I wanted to earn the scholarship."

Hunt is not amazed at being a Leesburg High School success story.

"Its more weird that it is coming to an end, " Hunt said. "I don't know what I'll do with my time."

One thing he will do is have more time to spend with his high school sweetheart, Mary Ann Stevenson, who he will marry on May 12. He also credits his parents Freddie and Janie Hunt with not pushing him to get involved in athletics.

"My dad was always there to help me if I wanted to play," Hunt said. "I think there are a lot of parents who are living out their dreams through their kids. That's why I don't think I ever got burned out from playing."

He gets to play one more time and everyone in Leesburg can watch, too-on ESPN2.



Listen live on my790am or www.my790am.com Saturday February 25, 2012.

Former Leesburg High School and University Of Cincinnati Football Standout Ashley Hunt will make his first appearance on the Lake County Sports Show February 25, 2012.



READ MORE CLICK BELOW

Resources
Robert Pincus
Daily Commercial Staff Writer
Daily Commercial
December 21, 2000


Leesburg Public Library
100 East Main Street
Leesburg, Florida 34748












VISIT ONE OF OUR BLOGS BELOW: 

Article provided by:
Gerald Lacey
Staff Writer
Carver Heights Quarterback Club
1986 Varsity Jackets Football Lettermen #82
Class of 1988 Leesburg High School
leesburgyellowjacketsfootball@yahoo.com
www.leesburgyellowjacketsfootball.com
















Gerald is a professional Internet marketer and social media marketing expert. His online business ventures and websites generate multiple streams of income annually. His consulting clients include best selling authors and international speakers.

Gerald is the CEO/President of Lacey LLC and OmariWholesale, Inc. He runs his entire business from his home where he is able to spend quality time with his family and friends. He is passionate about helping individuals to build and monetize their personal brand online.

No comments:

Post a Comment