Joes New Balance Outlet

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Former Jackets Standouts Pratt and Skuthan Face Each Other In SEC, November 8, 1978


Friendly Foes

The two college football players who are buddies both on and off the field 

By STAN McNEAL
Of the Leesburg Commercial
November 8, 1978

With all the hype college football gets from the media, one would think opposing players spend Friday nights dreaming about how they'll "kill" each other the next afternoon. Then comes Saturday and, so goes the hype, opponents can't even look at one another without the glare knocking them down.

Well, don't believe all you hear. A pair of former Leesburg Fightin Jackets, Bubba Pratt and Jim Skuthan, are living proof that opposing players don't have to think "kill" while they're on the field. Not even when they're blocking each other.




The two ex-Jackets, who starred for one of Max Wettstein's best teams ('74), are now playing their football in the Southeastern Conference, Bubba on defense for Florida and Jim on offense for Auburn. When the Gators whipped the War Eagles 31-7 Saturday, it was the first time the two played against each other.

"It was great," Bubba said. "Several times when we were in the huddle, I'd wink at him and he'd wink back.



"One time he was drive blocking me and was talking the whole time he was blocking. He was telling me 'way to fight' and stuff like that."

"It felt kind of weird playing him," admitted Jim, a 6-4 250-pound sophomore starter at guard and tackle. "I really didn't think much about blocking him, I really didn't get to until the fourth quarter, Maybe if I had him earlier, I would have."


While Auburn (5-3) is having a better season than the Gators (3-3) at this point, Bubba and Jim are doing about the same with their respective squads.

Bubba has been starting at defensive end since David Galloway hurt his ankle. Before that the 6-0 212-pound junior was alternating with Yancey Sutton at linebacker. He ranks among the team leaders in tackles. Against the War Eagles, Bubba played a key role in a Gator goal line stand.

Jim, who like Bubba was redshirted last year because of an injury, has been playing guard and tackle for Doug Barfield's squad. In Saturday's game, as it has been all year, the Eagles ran behind Jim when they were in short yardage situations.



"I'm doing a lot better than I thought I would,' Jim says about his season. "It's not hard rotating between guard and tackle. I played tackle in the spring."

Pratt and Skuthan had the chance to play together at Gatorland, but Jim's happy where his is.

I'm glad I didn't (go to Florida)," he remarked.. "I enjoy it at Auburn, I'm doing better than I would have if I'd stayed in Florida."

With his size and quickness, the NFL is a definite possibility for Skuthan when he's through with college ball in two years. But he talks of the chance realistically.

"It's too early to think about it," Jim explains. "I try to keep my mind on studying. One day football's going to end and I'll need the education".

For now, though, Jim-and Bubba-are happy where they're at. Playing football in the SEC, against your friends no less, is great. Even when you don't "kill" each other.

Listen live on my790am or www.my790am.com Saturday February 25, 2012.


Former Leesburg High School and Florida Gators Football standout Bubba Pratt will make his first appearance on The Lake County Sports Show February 25, 2012.

READ MORE CLICK BELOW

Resources
Stan McNeal
Leesburg Commercial
November 8, 1978

Leesburg Public Library
100 East Main Street
Leesburg, Florida 34748












VISIT ONE OF OUR BLOGS BELOW: 

Article provided by:
Gerald Lacey
Staff Writer
Carver Heights Quarterback Club
1986 Varsity Jackets Football Lettermen #82
Class of 1988 Leesburg High School
leesburgyellowjacketsfootball@yahoo.com
www.leesburgyellowjacketsfootball.com
















Gerald is a professional Internet marketer and social media marketing expert. His online business ventures and websites generate multiple streams of income annually. His consulting clients include best selling authors and international speakers.

LLC and OmariWholesale, Inc. He runs his entire business from his home where he is able to spend quality time with his family and friends. He is passionate about helping individuals to build and monetize their personal brand online.

No comments:

Post a Comment